The man is out-of-this-world proficient. He’s additionally the largest cause the Seahawks have any likelihood of that includes one other potential Tremendous Bowl-contending staff any time quickly.
However in terms of utilization, the Seahawks appear to keep away from utilizing Wilson’s arm at a excessive quantity except they want a game-winning, fourth-quarter drive. Take into account how he’s been utilized the previous couple of years, regardless of a staff roster that has been largely depleted of the defensive expertise that led to the staff’s philosophy within the first place.
- 2019: Ranked 12th in passing makes an attempt (516)
- 2018: Ranked 20th in passing makes an attempt (427)
The one cause Wilson noticed such a big uptick in passing makes an attempt final season is that Seattle’s protection was so atrocious that the offense needed to come from behind all too usually.
- Wilson was tied with Deshaun Watson for essentially the most game-winning drives final yr (5) and fourth-quarter comeback wins (4).
- In these video games, he accomplished 107-of-153 passes (69.9%) for 1,368 yards (8.94 yards per try) with 14 touchdowns and only one interception.
It’s uncommon that Wilson is named upon to guide the offense along with his arm and doesn’t succeed. Fairly merely, he’s one of many recreation’s elite passers. However the Seahawks proceed to deal with him like an afterthought in terms of designing and executing the offense outdoors comeback situations.
Time for a change: The Seahawks have a easy, however loaded, resolution to make this offseason. They’ll proceed to attempt pounding the sq. peg right into a spherical gap, or they will evolve and thrive. The reply is simply as easy, if they’d simply embrace actuality. However with a change in philosophy comes a determined want for the Seahawks to present Wilson the weapons he wants.
Don’t get us incorrect. D.Ok. Metcalf is particular and suits completely with what Wilson does greatest, which is throw deep. However Tyler Lockett isn’t a No. 1 menace, and the remainder of the large receiver room is unremarkable.
Arms race: This offseason gives the Seahawks with a novel alternative to load up on necessities, because the 2020 NFL Draft is without doubt one of the richest in current reminiscence in terms of pass-catching choices. However with such a loaded crop of probably elite receivers, we have now to count on there will probably be a run within the backside half of Spherical 1 and on Day 2 of the draft.
Right here’s a take a look at gamers the Seahawks may goal within the draft to supply Wilson with the assistance he must turn into the point of interest of Seattle’s offense in 2020.
- Spherical 1 (No. 27 general): Henry Ruggs out of Alabama could be an unimaginable slot in Seattle’s offense. He’s electrical after the catch and has track-star pace.
- Spherical 2 (No. 59 general): USC’s Michael Pittman Jr. is an enormous, robust receiver who has absurd ball abilities and is a red-zone monster.
- Spherical 2 (No. 64 general): Gabriel Davis out of UCF is an unimaginable deep-ball menace who averaged 17.2 yards per catch final yr and hauled in 12 touchdowns.
- Spherical 4 (No. 123 general): Denzel Mims out of Baylor is the sort of receiver who would completely thrive taking part in with a dynamic passer like Wilson. He has unimaginable arms and routinely wowed exhibiting them off on Saturdays.
- Spherical 5 (No. 137 general): Ok.J. Hill out of Ohio State is a bit totally different than the remainder of the receivers we’ve listed to this point. However he’s an distinctive slot specialist who has loads of big-game expertise.
- Spherical 7 (No. 219 general): Quintez Cephus out of Wisconsin is flying method below the radar however could possibly be an impressive professional because of his big-play skills and sticky arms.
Seattle has different wants, in fact, akin to on the offensive line and protection typically. However buying one other doubtlessly elite weapon for Wilson and the passing recreation needs to be a excessive precedence.
Free company frenzy: Earlier than the draft, free company will dominate NFL headlines. Talking of headlines, the headliners for this yr’s large receiver free-agency class are gems, and the Seahawks have the money to make a splash.
- A.J. Inexperienced, when he’s wholesome, is among the many recreation’s elite receivers. He missed all of final season with an ankle damage, however you must think about he would have discovered a option to play for a successful staff.
- Amari Cooper is certainly one of a handful of high-priced free brokers the Dallas Cowboys need to lock up this spring. However he may make out like a bandit on the open market, and his recreation fits Russell Wilson to a T.
- Emmanuel Sanders isn’t fairly as explosive as he was when Peyton Manning turned him right into a nationwide star. Nonetheless, he’s nonetheless dependable and able to taking brief passes a great distance with an correct quarterback slinging the pigskin.
Touchdown a kind of guys would supercharge Seattle’s passing recreation. With that in thoughts, the Seahawks completely have to present it a shot.
The underside line: The Seahawks are paying Russell Wilson to be an elite passer. He’s simply that. However till they really deal with him just like the passing-game genius he actually us, the Seahawks will proceed to sputter.
It’s time to promote out and let Wilson be for Seattle what Patrick Mahomes is for the Kansas Metropolis Chiefs. He has that sort of expertise, and if Seattle gives Wilson with the caliber of weaponry Mahomes has at his disposal, the Seahawks will turn into a nationwide powerhouse as soon as extra.