Moments after Stephen F. Austin made the play of the 12 months to win at Duke, I jokingly tweeted that the NCAA Choice Committee ought to cast off No. 1 seeds this 12 months. For the reason that 4 preseason selections — Michigan State, Duke, Kentucky and Kansas — have misplaced 5 instances earlier than the primary turkey is carved, one can perceive that line of considering.
Sadly for in-the-moment bracketologists, it does not work that approach. Come Monday morning, yours really and others will want 4 No. 1 seeds as a required a part of the job. And, given the calendar, the method of constructing these determinations might be extra revealing than the precise picks.
First issues first: SFA, present adrenaline rush however, is not now and will not be later a practical candidate for an NCAA match at-large bid. The Lumberjacks face just one extra prime 100 opponent the remainder of the season and might’t presumably construct a profitable at-large résumé. Truthful or not, they’re destined to battle it out with Sam Houston State and others for the lone bid from the Southland Convention.
Duke alternatively, like Kentucky after its homecourt loss to Evansville, stays very a lot in play for a No. 1 seed. It is a query of alternative, and there are not often packages with extra of these possibilities than the likes of the Blue Devils or Wildcats.
However what about as we speak? What if the Committee needed to render its verdict on match seeding on Thanksgiving as a substitute of Choice Sunday?
My seed record, replicating the Committee’s ideas and procedures with every replace, now appears to be like like this 1 by means of 10:
1. Louisville Cardinals (6-0, MW-1): The Cardinals can be No. 1 in each polls if voted as we speak. And, whereas that should not matter, it does. They’re going to need to get previous gifted Western Kentucky on Friday to carry the spot in Monday’s bracket.
2. Kansas Jayhawks (5-1, S-1): The Jayhawks misplaced by a bucket to Duke, costing them the No. 1 total place at this level. Actually a loss within the Maui championship sport to Dayton would drop them off the highest line totally.
3. Virginia Cavaliers (6-0, E-1): The defending champions can be No. 1 on my poll, having executed probably the most thus far. Presuming a win in a pre-turkey sport in opposition to Maine, the Cavs take excessive seed within the East.
4. Gonzaga Bulldogs (6-0, W-1): It nearly does not matter for the Bulldogs, who’re all however sure to start their NCAA quest on Thursday, March 19, in Spokane. I might see the Committee going with North Carolina right here, however geography guidelines for the second.
5. North Carolina Tar Heels (4-0, S-2): The Tar Heels have the very best alternative to maneuver up this weekend. The Battle Four Atlantis bracket might simply elevate them to the highest line, and even No. 1 total given the power of the sector.
6. Michigan State Spartans (4-2, MW-2): Offered the Spartans do not lose once more in Maui, they’re a stable No. 2 seed. They get an opportunity to re-establish their No. 1 bona fides wen Duke involves East Lansing for the ACC/Large Ten Problem subsequent week.
7. Duke Blue Devils (6-1, W-2): Duke’s upset loss is even worse than Kentucky’s, however the Blue Devils have impartial wins over Kansas and Georgetown. And I would not wish to be Winthrop coming into Cameron Indoor on Friday.
8. Ohio State Buckeyes (6-0, E-2): The Buckeyes are the one staff within the prime 10 with what could possibly be two Quad One wins (Cincinnati, Villanova). That provides them the final No. 2 seed place on our board.
9. Maryland Terrapins (5-0): The Terps can actually assist themselves on the Orlando Invitational. So far, Rhode Island is the one prime 100 win on their resumé.
10. Kentucky Wildcats (5-1): Our most controversial placement can also be probably the most simply supported. For the reason that opening night time win over Michigan State, the Wildcats have not performed any groups within the prime half of Division I (they usually lose to considered one of them). UK is extra more likely to get caught from behind this weekend than to maneuver up, with Oregon being the main candidate to leapfrog them.
Within the meantime, Pleased Thanksgiving!